Black Culture Discussion Thread

Catch 22 sadly. You dress any old kind of way, they have an excuse. An excuse to deny you the job, the promotion, the project, the grant, the opportunity, the internship, whatever. Problem is, if they don't have that excuse they will 100% look for another excuse. If they ultimately can't find one then you may have a chance, OR, they will just invent an excuse that is non-existent.

So now you're not dressing for yourself, or for whoever the gatekeeper is. You're dressing for the unseen folks who will view the situation as 3rd parties, whether it's an actual review of the decision should it somehow get to that, or the general public, should it get to that.

My mom always said I was a representation of HER. She made sure I had cologne, a watch, clean clothes, etc.

People get it misconstrued. You don’t need name brand or designer clothes, just decent, clean clothes.

Bad hygiene or lack of personal care is darn near a signifier of depression (not everyone, not generalizing) but it should be recognized

I know nuance is lost on alotta ppl but like most things it’s all about time and place…Just look presentable for wherever you going, it’s not that hard of a concept…Don’t rock the bonnet to work/school and you don’t have to throw on a 3 piece suit for a red eye flight

And as always do it for yourself, THEY not gon rock with you no matter how you present yourself if they on that type of time

Black folks stay worried about the wrong things. Gaza and everything over there has nothing to do with US. A graduation ain’t the time or place to make some so called political statement. Turn your attention elsewhere.
The youngins gon get swept up in whatever going on campus, they don’t really care about Gaza but protesting and questioning authority is just something to do when you 21

When those graduates start real life they won’t talk about it as much

The youngins gon get swept up in whatever going on campus, they don’t really care about Gaza but protesting and questioning authority is just something to do when you 21

When those graduates start real life they won’t talk about it as much

That’s even worse if they don’t really care about Gaza (which I understand). To me it’s just looks bad when I see black people being concerned about things that don’t pertain to us. Let alone protesting………which is the biggest waste of time.

Why shouldn't Black folks care about Gaza, given our own history of oppression? Protests and revolutionary movements have often been initiated by younger generations. History demonstrates that questioning authority and standing against injustice are crucial steps toward change. Shouldn't we stand in solidarity against oppression as part of our own fight for justice and equality?

Why shouldn't Black folks care about Gaza, given our own history of oppression? Protests and revolutionary movements have often been initiated by younger generations. History demonstrates that questioning authority and standing against injustice are crucial steps toward change. Shouldn't we stand in solidarity against oppression as part of our own fight for justice and equality?
Standing against oppression is important, but if I personally don't have any cultural ties or close connection to the foreign conflict, the most you'll get from me is acknowledgement and prayers, maybe an IG story. Haiti and Ethiopia are going through conflicts now and my sentiments are the same. I don't need to be more invested in Gaza because its on the news cycle everyday.

The "history of oppression" angle is always used to guilt Black folks to rush to fight for other groups, some that may not even care for our causes. And given this conflict's "Pro-Palestine = Anti-Israel/Jewish" propaganda, I wouldn't be surprised of a narrative spun on why we're anti-Jewish given our history of oppression.

I understand and I think all genocides and conflicts of oppression (Congo, Sudan, Ethiopia, China, etc) deserve the same attention. The "history of oppression" isn't about guilting Black folks; it's about recognizing shared struggles and supporting each other. I do believe that highlighting all injustices, we strengthen our fight against oppression everywhere. If we don’t see the connections between our struggles, how can we stand united against these atrocities?

Stop it champ. Them folks BEEN fighting over land over there since the days of the Bible. That ain’t got a dam thing to do with black folks…….and we NEED to understand that. We wish all parties the best, but we need to understand that we have no real allies…..and that’s okay.

Blacks folks think just because someone else is experiencing pain……..that group will somehow understand our pain and join us in our fight. That NEVER happens, like they are going to sympathize and what have you, and understand what we been through or experience. Black folks……we are all we have, and that’s okay. What’s going on in Gaza overseas isn’t our fight…..that’s on them people.

Besides, if people REALLY feel that strongly about the situation in Gaza, I encourage them to book a one way flight over to Gaza, and do your best to help the people. That’s really doing something about the situation. Folks marching in a circle over here in America means nothing.

I’m sorry but if it ain’t about me family or immediate family, I don’t care. Like I said, none of those people have ever implored the US government about black Americans getting reparations.

I’m gone continue minding my business:lol:

I just wish many of these other groups would ride with us the way we ride for them.

They never will. Again, ask a Jewish person, white American, middle eastern person etc about black Americans and you’ll get no response. I’m not concerned about their plights either. We need to worry about ourselves

Grine Grine I THINK the reason why so many would rather, "mind their own business" because many of us don't feel the same energy is given towards our struggles.

So what do we look like walking hand-in-hand fighting for them.

We got our own stuff to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom