Official Saucony Originals / Retro Thread

I get the frustration but how exactly is this sauconys fault? They don't control how boutiques and websites release product.
lol what? They allocate to them and continually deal with the fall out. They couldn’t institute bot protection as a standard for any collaborator? That’s ridiculous. They finally get some good collabs and they all go down the same way.

And that’s BEFORE we get into the fact that Suacony’s website is running 15 year old technology and even EASIER than a Shopify site to bot. So they have nothing in place themselves. It’s amateur hour this year.

lol what? They allocate to them and continually deal with the fall out. They couldn’t institute bot protection as a standard for any collaborator? That’s ridiculous. They finally get some good collabs and they all go down the same way.

And that’s BEFORE we get into the fact that Suacony’s website is running 15 year old technology and even EASIER than a Shopify site to bot. So they have nothing in place themselves. It’s amateur hour this year.

Lmao I take it you aren't in the business world. J crew alone does 5 times the revenue saucony does. And you think saucony can just roll up in there and tell them how to release stuff?

Lmao I take it you aren't in the business world. J crew alone does 5 times the revenue saucony does. And you think saucony can just roll up in there and tell them how to release stuff?
I wasn't talking about J.Crew but Minted NY, Bodega, etc could all be made to use bot protection. I assure you if Union, UNDFTD, and AMM can do it, others can too. I'm not even sure what you're arguing for? The Minted release fell flat on its face cause they realized ALL of the orders placed were bolted so they're doing the release over again tomorrow (likely setting themselves up for a repeat of today). How is that good for either company?

I wasn't talking about J.Crew but Minted NY, Bodega, etc could all be made to use bot protection. I assure you if Union, UNDFTD, and AMM can do it, others can too. I'm not even sure what you're arguing for? The Minted release fell flat on its face cause they realized ALL of the orders placed were bolted so they're doing the release over again tomorrow (likely setting themselves up for a repeat of today). How is that good for either company?

Lol. Like I said you clearly don't understand business. Maybe when your anger cools off you'll understand you're living in Fantasyland.

Bodega is a great example.

If I'm Bodega and saucony says you have to have bot protection for our products. What's my answer going to be?

Nike didn't care. NB didn't care. Neither did adidas, vans, Crocs, hoka, Clark's, Reebok, etc. and they all move way more product than you. So why should I spend my own money to institute bot protection when you're, what, maybe the 10th biggest footwear brand I carry, and none of the brands above you made the same demand.

I'm not arguing that it isnt nice when shops do have some help against bots but you're arguing for a brand with zero leverage to try and force shops to spend money to protect against bots.

Like I said, Fantasyland.

I don’t think it’s Minted or Saucony’s fault. Minted (and most boutiques) are built on Shopify which has a monopoly on the smaller/boutique eComm market. Shopify is unable to protect against bots because it would require significant investment and re-platforming for a portion of the market which represents a small fraction of their sellers.

Lol. Like I said you clearly don't understand business. Maybe when your anger cools off you'll understand you're living in Fantasyland.

Bodega is a great example.

If I'm Bodega and saucony says you have to have bot protection for our products. What's my answer going to be?

Nike didn't care. NB didn't care. Neither did adidas, vans, Crocs, hoka, Clark's, Reebok, etc. and they all move way more product than you. So why should I spend my own money to institute bot protection when you're, what, maybe the 10th biggest footwear brand I carry, and none of the brands above you made the same demand.

I'm not arguing that it isnt nice when shops do have some help against bots but you're arguing for a brand with zero leverage to try and force shops to spend money to protect against bots.

Like I said, Fantasyland.
Fantasyland? You’re dropping Saucony’s ranking as any meaningful metric for requiring basic bot protection on their own product. It took 2 years for Minted to get this collab done, and it’s a big deal to a lot of small brands. It should be a big deal to a $500M shoe brand struggling to stand out in 2024.

Nike DOES require basic bot protection as the companies I listed above are an example of using them these days on their collab drops. Saucony’s website is a well known joke because it’s so ancient and unprotected.

And every Shopify site can add bot protection to at least slow them down. It was so tough that this email arrived an hour ago:
“Tomorrow (May 16th) at 11 AM EST, we will relist the canceled orders on mintednewyork.com. We have implemented bot protection that we hope eliminates / drastically reduces the presence of the bots. As a result, there will be a few more steps before checking out.”

I’ve been in the business world 25 years and I damn well know butchering a release because you weren’t prepared is a bad look for the company and its partners. The fact that this has happened on every Saucony collab this year isn’t going unnoticed on social media and I’m sure the continued rollout of collabs that never get into customers’ hands isn’t helping mgmt there.

Is anyone willing to pay hundreds over retail for Saucony’s? It doesn’t line up with their demographic and why people are buying their shoes today. So it fails from a marketing and sales standpoint when you, the company, are the biggest hindrance to obtaining their product because you won’t do ANYTHING yourselves or set some bare bones procedures for your collab partners to follow.

Can’t believe you’re chiding me on business and missing the obvious failings here.

Fantasyland? You’re dropping Saucony’s ranking as any meaningful metric for requiring basic bot protection on their own product. It took 2 years for Minted to get this collab done, and it’s a big deal to a lot of small brands. It should be a big deal to a $500M shoe brand struggling to stand out in 2024.

Nike DOES require basic bot protection as the companies I listed above are an example of using them these days on their collab drops. Saucony’s website is a well known joke because it’s so ancient and unprotected.

And every Shopify site can add bot protection to at least slow them down. It was so tough that this email arrived an hour ago:
“Tomorrow (May 16th) at 11 AM EST, we will relist the canceled orders on mintednewyork.com. We have implemented bot protection that we hope eliminates / drastically reduces the presence of the bots. As a result, there will be a few more steps before checking out.”

I’ve been in the business world 25 years and I damn well know butchering a release because you weren’t prepared is a bad look for the company and its partners. The fact that this has happened on every Saucony collab this year isn’t going unnoticed on social media and I’m sure the continued rollout of collabs that never get into customers’ hands isn’t helping mgmt there.

Is anyone willing to pay hundreds over retail for Saucony’s? It doesn’t line up with their demographic and why people are buying their shoes today. So it fails from a marketing and sales standpoint when you, the company, are the biggest hindrance to obtaining their product because you won’t do ANYTHING yourselves or set some bare bones procedures for your collab partners to follow.

Can’t believe you’re chiding me on business and missing the obvious failings here.

Jesus youre so mad your own rants contradict themselves. So people aren't willing to pay resale but this and every release gets completely botted. Which is it?

You say it's a sales failure? And yet every release this year has completely been botted. Which is it?

And I never said it was tough to do. But that it costs money to do. And again, this is why their ranking matters, because if I'm a small shop, why would I get strong armed into spending my own money to implement bot protection to move one collab a year when I can sell 10x that in Jordans, dunks, sambas, Crocs, or whatever else is hot.

Like I said, it makes zero sense to do that when there are 10 bigger brands that I can sell that don't make me dip into my own pockets.

Jesus youre so mad your own rants contradict themselves. So people aren't willing to pay resale but this and every release gets completely botted. Which is it?

You say it's a sales failure? And yet every release this year has completely been botted. Which is it?

And I never said it was tough to do. But that it costs money to do. And again, this is why their ranking matters, because if I'm a small shop, why would I get strong armed into spending my own money to implement bot protection to move one collab a year when I can sell 10x that in Jordans, dunks, sambas, Crocs, or whatever else is hot.

Like I said, it makes zero sense to do that when there are 10 bigger brands that I can sell that don't make me dip into my own pockets.
why would you get strong armed into protecting your own release so it’s not an unmitigated disaster like the one today? Seems pretty self explanatory. So much time and cost they got it done in… wait for it… one day!

Collabs are supposed to convert into increased sales of the company’s product, and terrible experiences for everyone not using a bot again seems very self explanatory.

I don’t see anything contradictory about Saucony’s core demographic not being willing to pay $500 for a shoe like this. Resellers sitting on Sauconys while very few move for those crazy prices has been the market this year. You’re turning off the kind of customer who would spend more with you in general if you didn’t make it so tough to obtain as the 10th ranked sneaker brand lol

IMG_8621.jpeg
IMG_8620.jpeg
1715826115148.png

Am I the only person here who honestly had no idea what Minted was until this release? And I gotta admit, I'm still not exactly sure what they are :lol:

why would you get strong armed into protecting your own release so it’s not an unmitigated disaster like the one today? Seems pretty self explanatory. So much time and cost they got it done in… wait for it… one day!

Collabs are supposed to convert into increased sales of the company’s product, and terrible experiences for everyone not using a bot again seems very self explanatory.

I don’t see anything contradictory about Saucony’s core demographic not being willing to pay $500 for a shoe like this. Resellers sitting on Sauconys while very few move for those crazy prices has been the market this year. You’re turning off the kind of customer who would spend more with you in general if you didn’t make it so tough to obtain as the 10th ranked sneaker brand lol

Bruh... you really are dense. I never mentioned anything about time so I don't know where you're getting that from. But it does cost them to add the protection. Spotify already has them in place so all you have to do is pay for them to turn it on. Shocking how fast technology works isn't it? But again, and this is the important part, this costs these shops real money out of their own pockets and they have to weigh whether its worth it or not. So for the last time, this isn't on Saucony like you seem to think it is.

Speaking of which, your whole idea is that you want Saucony to set minimum requirements to be a collab partner with them, right? So, yes it is strong arming them if Saucony says you have to have these protections in place in order to collab with them, especially if they've never had protection in place before. To take it a step further, going back to my earlier point about the likes of J Crew or Bodega, if Saucony has that policy in place, why would a big company ever agree to that. You yourself admit that Saucony is struggling to stand out so why would they agree to those terms if they can just put out an NB collab with none of that hassle and likely sell more. You admit that Saucony is struggling and yet you think they can just go in and set the terms of the deal like they're the godfather. It makes no sense.

And you complain about how bad the whole process is and how bad Saucony and how its turning people off the brand yet you've seemingly tried for every collab and would have gladly paid for these if you'd gotten them. Reminds me of all the people complaining nonstop about SNKRS yet they still enter every drawing. So you're either a glutton for punishment or its working just fine.

Back
Top Bottom