Was Nike/JB Successful with slowing down Resellers???

I remember about two years ago, Nike made a pledge to stop bots and resellers. With the increase in pricing and flooding the market every other week with a release, do you think they were successful? I'm seeing more shoes being resold for UNDER retail as well as many shoes nowhere near selling out in stores and Nike outlets flooded with retros. Now, of course the hyped releases always sell out, but just less than 2 years ago, almost every release was a sell out and quick to resell for 2-5x its retail price!

Market prices are mostly determined by hype and demand. Supply actually has little effect. That’s why some shoes can’t sell for more than retail even before they release, when those few early pairs are all in resellers hands.

Resellers don’t drive up prices. Consumers do. If nobody wants a shoe and it bricks, resellers can’t just charge whatever they want

Sneakerheads often forget outside factors that impact the state of the sneaker community and resell market, like the state of the economy. Inflation is raging and people don't have the disposable income that they had during the pandemic with stimmy money flying around. Credit card debt is at an all-time high, layoffs are happening left and right, bankruptcies are cooking, most people have or are BURNING through their savings and inflation is eating people alive! Don't even get me started on the price of gas going up as well. Most people don't have the money to pay resell, heck, most don't even have the money to buy RETAIL nowadays. That is a major driving force behind the resell market collapsing.

Sneakerheads often forget outside factors that impact the state of the sneaker community and resell market, like the state of the economy. Inflation is raging and people don't have the disposable income that they had during the pandemic with stimmy money flying around. Credit card debt is at an all-time high, layoffs are happening left and right, bankruptcies are cooking, most people have or are BURNING through their savings and inflation is eating people alive! Don't even get me started on the price of gas going up as well. Most people don't have the money to pay resell, heck, most don't even have the money to buy RETAIL nowadays. That is a major driving force behind the resell market collapsing.
I mean resell isn’t dead-look at what those hideous Jumpman Jacks that released today are going for, for example.

Limited and hype niche sneakers will always have a market but things like GR dunks and Jordans only resell during the type of periods you mentioned.

It’s absurd we reached a point where GR Panda dunks were reselling for like $300-$400 and people were even paying resell for Jordan fusions at one point lol

Glad the free money train from the government is over-people need to go to work and get real jobs instead of trying to move GR kicks for a living.

I believe so, the only people going the resell route want something super limited or the Jordan’s earlier than the actual release date….but I’m coming from the point of view of a sz9 guy. So the bigger sizes might be more of a battle to obtain

Exactly. People were getting 600 a week too. That has dried up and more things are sitting.
Yeah, crazy the government were just giving people money for existing lol

Probably explains all of the inflation we’re currently experiencing.

Those outside factors DEFINITELY play a huge part in all that's going on. And no company is even thinking about factoring that in with pricing. This economy is going to bottom out in 5,4,3,2,.......

The past year I’ve literally hit on everything I’ve wanted. I still can’t believe how “relatively” easy it’s been to get all the shoes I want at retail.

I think the recent explosion in popularity of ASICS and new balance has also provided some much needed competition for Nike.

Those outside factors DEFINITELY play a huge part in all that's going on. And no company is even thinking about factoring that in with pricing. This economy is going to bottom out in 5,4,3,2,.......
Makes me wish I dumped more pairs in 2020-2021 to all the people blowing their government handouts on kicks lol

Back
Top Bottom