The Official NBA Thread: T'Wolves-Mavs on TNT / Mavs Lead 3-0

Twitter ridiculed Ethan Strauss for this take. :lol:

as usual twitter is dumb and wrong.

The take is right, why would you throw away all the built up branding equity and launch totally new brands for all the women's team.

works great for women's soccer. Same branding, same jersey.

1715726202733.png

1715725946708.png

1715725997242.png

1715726052844.png

Kinda crazy they started the pod together as a front for an extensive job interview
We know he’ll be the fall guy for the roster shortcomings that will cause their elimination from the playoffs.

So his next gig after the Lakers will be what’s interesting.

Hopefully he doesnt end up like Steve Nash

How many WNBA teams even have an owner that owns a NBA team?

I thought the number was around five or six? So maybe not even half.

That would be necessary for joint branding

It happens in soccer (excluding National teams because including them seems kinda pointless) because they are part of one organization. So across sports they have the same name and branding

So for this to happen some WNBA teams with the ownership set up, will have to change their name.? Like the Liberty need to change their name so they can be closer in branding to.....check notes....the Brooklyn Nets? :lol:

Also, the WNBA did try to align with the NBA branding when it started. That seemingly didn't help them much.

I really don't see the major upside to this for it be considered some marketing magic bullet.

It happens in soccer (excluding National teams because including them seems kinda pointless) because they are part of one organization. So across sports they have the same name and branding

So for this to happen some WNBA teams with the ownership set up, will have to change their name.? Like the Liberty need to change their name so they can be closer in branding to.....check notes....the Brooklyn Nets? :lol:

Also, the WNBA did try to align with the NBA branding when it started. That seemingly didn't help them much.

I really don't see the major upside to this for it be considered some marketing magic bullet.
What are we naming the Connecticut Sun after? The Seattle Storm? the Aces?

What are we even talking about?

Those womens soccer team names are for clubs that have been long established for decades and decades, and in some cases over a century, before they ever established women's teams so it's really an apples to oranges comparison when most WNBA teams don't share the same owners of the mens pro equivalents. In soccer they all literally form part of the same team.

That's why they're called 'clubs' in soccer because a lot of the time, they have everything from junior teams and academies to even teams for other sports so those club names carry much more of a cultural and community signifier than your typical American franchise.

If ownership was linked for every team then I could see an argument to be made, even though many names just straight up wouldn't translate well to women's sports :lol:, but they're not.

Last edited:
Here’s why you can’t do it tho….

Soccer teams are actually local clubs. They have youth teams, academies, schooling, etc.

It could never work here. We have franchises. It’s a completely different structure.

Franchises have to have their own identity. This is the American way.

While I was typing Rol basically said the same thing.

Pretty much that.

Sidenote - This doesn’t have much to do with it but I always liked how all the Pittsburgh teams wear black & yellow. Gives the city a communal identity.

What are we naming the Connecticut Sun after? The Seattle Storm? the Aces?

What are we even talking about?
Well, I guess since it is about following the men if Seattle and Vegas get expansion NBA teams, the long established WNBA teams will simply change their names and branding to match the newly created NBA team.

I'm sure the World Champion Las Vegas Aces who have tons of local fan support will not mind wiping out their brand identity to match a team that will probably be horrible for at minimum a few years

Again, no way something like this doesn't cause a PR nightmare. No way

All the other excellent points on the subject already made aside, the idea that it’s “hard” to learn the name of a WNBA team in the same city as NBA team with a different name is fundamentally ridiculous. :lol:

It’s only “hard” if you don’t actually care and changing the name to “W Pacers” isn’t going to make the kind of people who don’t want to learn a one word name care more.

This reminds me of when Osh was all in on Steven A’s absurd take that it’s a problem that Shohei Ohtani doesn’t speak English.

* Edit - to be fair, Ohtani's lack of being able to speak English was a a problem insofar as it caused him to need an interpreter and the person who he hired for that job turned out to be a degenerate gambler to siphoned off money from him. But that's it. :D

Last edited:
It's weird how the WNBA declined over time. I remember watching them Comets games with Cynthia Cooper and Sherl Swoops with my stepfather back in the day. Them games was packed. **** is dead in there now. Until more women watch and support it's not gonna change.

I don't know if this has been posted, but NBA on TNT has Draymond and Vince Carter as fill-ins for today's coverage because Shaq and Chuck are meeting with other networks in NY according to Ernie (apparently as a yearly meeting anyway). I'm in denial; I love watching their pre-/post-game and halftime/game break coverage.

All the other excellent points on the subject already made aside, the idea that it’s “hard” to learn the name of a WNBA team in the same city as NBA team with a different name is fundamentally ridiculous. :lol:
:D

it's "hard" to launch new brands. this is just the reality of marketing, 100% factual.

It’s only “hard” if you don’t actually care and changing the name to “W Pacers” isn’t going to make the kind of people who don’t want to learn a one word name care more.

you are just arguing a strawman version of the take.

it's hard to launch new brands, it's especially hard in sports where your competing with 50+ year old brands.

you're in a league with existing brands that have tons of equity built up, why torch that and start over? what is the upside?

there is a reason film and tv is obsessed with pre existing IP, because launching new brands is really really hard.

This reminds me of when Osh was all in on Steven A’s absurd take that it’s a problem that Shohei Ohtani doesn’t speak English.

* Edit - to be fair, Ohtani's lack of being able to speak English was a a problem insofar as it caused him to need an interpreter and the person who he hired for that job turned out to be a degenerate gambler to siphoned off money from him. But that's it.

if Ohtani spoke english he'd be a way bigger star.

Speaking the language of the people you are marketing towards is obviously helpful.

it's such an obviously correct take, people just wanted a reason to be mad at SAS.

Back
Top Bottom