Information Technology (IT)

Drugtesting sounds archaic to me in any sense unless it's something involving government or security. Never even been asked about my meds, though I might've not been hired if I ever handed out my full list of daily/bi-weekly prescriptions :lol:
Opioids, sleeping meds, hormone injections, a very strong anti-epileptic, more hormones (cortisol)
Sounds like a disaster on paper.
When working with the federal government, it's always a toss up if you'll get drug tested. My government lead was telling me that she stopped smoking when she got the posistion since she didn't know when or if she would get tested but she was also on probation for either a year or 2 years.

I’ve been slacking extremely hard, my voucher for my net+ expires in a couple weeks 😬 about to cram and see what happens

1714884006000.png
\
ordered cissp tests, time to get this mf out the way

i been peepin the Comp Sci major sub reddit these days... damn its really that bad?

feel like now for CS, you gotta be good to get a job.

back in the day you could be a terrible software eng and still get a job.

It's really awful. I see folks still trying to use the old "it's your resume or interview" but it's way beyond that, people can only tweak those so much. Something's been off since that big Google layoff a year and a half ago.

Not super actively looking, but every now and then I used to throw something out there and get pretty much a 50% response rate, now it's like an abandoned wasteland. I get mad spam after applying to some. They gotta be fake or workday selling your data.

Last edited:
All the influx of folks tech companies hired into coding and cybersecurity en masse during the pandemic then laid off crowding the market. Now you need more to stand out.

It starts at even the high school level. I teach AP Computer Science

Each year I have to teach an extra class because so many parents want their kids to take CS. We're on block schedule so 7 total classes and most teaches get 1 planning a day. Day 1: 1-3-5-7 and Day 2 is 1-2-4-6.

Due to my enrollment numbers I have 1 day with no planning (I do get paid extra for it) and I still have 30 ish kids in each section, AND we still have kids that can't take the class. The "learn to program and you get 100k+ job" agenda is running rampant.

Yea there’s so much doom and gloom about the job market on reddit
It’s looking cooked out here for myself as a early 30s looking for a career change :smh: even help desk jobs are tough to find

Yea there’s so much doom and gloom about the job market on reddit
It’s looking cooked out here for myself as a early 30s looking for a career change :smh: even help desk jobs are tough to find

Yeah I was thinking about leaving teaching and going into tech but I was having a difficult time finding anything in my area that wouldn't be me basically taking a pay cut.

I'm 27 and making 70k a year between teaching and coaching. We have a career ladder that I'm working on that will give me a 5% raise each of the next 2 years, not including the raises we get from our local budget. Also working on my National Boards for another 5% and 5k stipend. If it all goes to plan I should be in the mid 80's at least by my 30th birthday.

That's not even factoring in the benefits.

Hard to beat that 85k ish a year while having every major holiday off, weekends, and the summer free. I would need a job paying at bare minimum 110k+ to make the switch worth it.

85k with a whole summer off sounds great (if it wasn't teaching). I wouldn't get discouraged, it will settle itself out eventually. If it's what you really want to do just keep preparing so you're ready.

85k with a whole summer off sounds great (if it wasn't teaching). I wouldn't get discouraged, it will settle itself out eventually. If it's what you really want to do just keep preparing so you're ready.

I don't really have summers off cause of basketball. Really only off in the since of teaching, still gotta do basketball related things like practices, team camps, and scrimmages but I barely look at that as work cause I love it.

I would prefer a front end developer position, would definitely have to relocate to NOVA or DC for it. I like visiting those spots but living in them doesn't sound appealing to me.

I don't really have summers off cause of basketball. Really only off in the since of teaching, still gotta do basketball related things like practices, team camps, and scrimmages but I barely look at that as work cause I love it.

I would prefer a front end developer position, would definitely have to relocate to NOVA or DC for it. I like visiting those spots but living in them doesn't sound appealing to me.
Yup, definitely a high cost of living area due to the Government involvement in all the “good” jobs in the area. I love the DMV area but I’ve pretty much lived here my whole life. Pretty decent basketball scene here too so you could still do that as well.

I didn’t even realize it but since I applied for a couple jobs on indeed I have actually been getting some clearly scam texts about job opportunities

It's really awful. I see folks still trying to use the old "it's your resume or interview" but it's way beyond that, people can only tweak those so much. Something's been off since that big Google layoff a year and a half ago.

Not super actively looking, but every now and then I used to throw something out there and get pretty much a 50% response rate, now it's like an abandoned wasteland. I get mad spam after applying to some. They gotta be fake or workday selling your data.
yep that google layoff really changed the landscape
its scary because we base our whole lives kinda on this income we feel like is guaranteed BUT they can drop you like a fly

Scary. I want to leave my job so bad. But layoff news, anecdotes and job site scams make me a lil nervous.

I’m almost finished with this Cloud Guru AZ305 course. I’ll follow it up with reading the official book then dive into Microsoft Learn.

Back
Top Bottom