Commons "BE" came out 10 years ago today...vol its your world

Coming into the album, all three of the main musicians involved—Common, Kanye West, and J Dilla—were experiencing very different career trajectories. Lonnie was facing expectations to atone for the flop that was his 2002 album, Electric Circus (an LP perhaps misinterpreted at the time); Yeezy had just dropped a phenomenal debut, even if it was uneven; and Dilla was primed to break into the mainstream after being an underground legend for years.

The trio founded the perfect team to right Com’s ship and propel both Kanye’s and Dilla’s careers. If you had to place a qualifier on the sound Be evoked, it’d be “Midwestern boom-bap/soul,” but qualifiers suck. It was, however, sonically cohesive and perfect: the lush orchestration of “Be (Intro)” led into the gritty realism of “The Corner.” “Go,” “Faithful,” and “Love Is” all mashed mellow tracks and soul-filled backdrops (shout out to John Legend) to create love songs that were neither cheesy nor hokey. And “Chi City” and “The Food” were legitimate bangers, arguably two of the better beats Kanye’s ever produced.

They played off one another’s strengths to set the mood for an album you could play with your friends or in the car with your mom and grandma.

Great great album.

I know cats got their favorites so i wont post em all.

Last edited:
Classic album. Kanye laced Common with some dope production. :pimp: :pimp:

Last edited:
Best rap album of the 2000's
Album is a certified classic, but I'm taking Madvillainy and Fantastic Vol. 2 and a few others over it in the 2000's decade. 

The Food 
nthat.gif

This is a very dope album. Don't know why I forget it, had it. Don't like Common anymore doe. This was a follow up album from that album where he was all Badued out...

Loved this album. Almost a reintroduction to Common for me since Electric Circus was a mess. Finding Forever was a gem too.

I'm not sure who it was but someone once referred to this as a "safe" album. Basically nothing bad could happen with the combo of Common, Kanye and Dilla.

A great album and nice bounce back from EC

The intro is a top 5 favorite of mine and including the live version of The Food was a great decision, much better than the studio version

His 3rd best album behind ODIAMS and Resurrection

Back
Top Bottom