Let's revisit the Memphis Grizzlies drafting Hasheem Thabeet #2 overall

hasheem-thabeet-memphis.jpg

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
 Seriously? Whoever signed off on this idea is LUCKY that the team has been playing well basically since this happened 

- Had M. Gasol who came off a good season and who everyone saw would only be getting better and would take up the bulk of the Center minutes.. Neither of them could've played the 4 so they couldnt play together

- Passed up on Harden,Curry,Rubio,Evans... Hell 90% of that first round 
laugh.gif
.. I know some of the big players said they wouldnt work out for them but im sure they couldve worked out some sort of deal for another player that would fit their needs.

- Can you imagine their team now with one of those other top 10 picks 
eek.gif

Has got to be the dumbest draft decision in recent memory.. I dont count the KD/Oden because that's just bad luck

I'm still not ready to give up on him. I'll take him in OKC for 5yrs 20 mil. He is tall, athletic, and more mobile than you expect for a guy his size. No reason he can't be an anchor to a good defense, other than he kind of sucks, but you teach him how to stand there with his hands up and that's 10 boards and 2.5 blocks per.

I still can't believe someone compared him to Anthony Davis in another thread 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Michael Heisley wanted to take Thabeet, and Chris Wallace wanted to take Steph Curry. That's according to reports anyway, who knows how it actually went down in the war room. Heisley would be scorned even more heavily right now if the Grizzlies didn't have a quality team to shade over that mistake.

At the time I really don't know why they took him
30t6p3b.gif
We knew he would be a defensive presence in the NBA but I think a lot of people were counting on him to come in and be able to contribute right away and that just didn't happen. He didn't score his 10th point in the NBA until twelve games in
laugh.gif
and we all know about his famed Developmental League stint. He's just a guy that a lot of people saw for his size which blinded them to all the other blatant flaws.

he never got big minutes in memphis so he didnt have the time to develop his offensive game but as far as defense, i think hes there. his defensive presence and his height really effects the defensive side. he needs to goto miami and start at the 5
laugh.gif

this is much like the Pistons Issue when they took darko, it was more for the "future" and "potential" than anything

you could take a PG because you just spent a 4th on Conley 2 years prior

No SG cause of Juice

no SF cause of #22

what PF was worth that high? none.

so you take what this league values and you cant teach. height.

Originally Posted by MMG

this is much like the Pistons Issue when they took darko, it was more for the "future" and "potential" than anything

I'd understand this point IF they didn't JUST see Gasol come off of a good season with all signs pointing to improving even further.. Look at him now

It was dumb when they did, it was even dumber in hindsight, another bit of foolishness, Sacramento had the best passing prospect in the last decade workout against a chair and then proceeded to draft fake point gaurd Tyreke Evans based on the results of that work out...also very dumb.

Kinda agree with MMG, they had solid guys already at those positions.
I really wish in those situations NBA teams would trade out of the draft get future 1st round picks like in the NFL.
Didn't make sense to draft Thabeet knowing he wouldn't play much behind an improved Gasol

Let's revisit the Memphis Grizzlies drafting Hasheem Thabeet #2 overall
I rather not.
laugh.gif

I wanted to either trade the pick for Al Jefferson or Kevin Love, or just trade down to select Earl Clark.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

I'm still not ready to give up on him. I'll take him in OKC for 5yrs 20 mil. He is tall, athletic, and more mobile than you expect for a guy his size. No reason he can't be an anchor to a good defense, other than he kind of sucks, but you teach him how to stand there with his hands up and that's 10 boards and 2.5 blocks per.

roll.gif

If OKC does that, Presti will lose all credibility.
laugh.gif
After watching Thabeet in Memphis last night, he's the same player. He just seems not to give a damn.
We literally blew the 2009 and 2010 draft. Got Selby in 2011. Its amazing how good Memphis still is with virtually none of their draft picks on the team from those past years.

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

he never got big minutes in memphis so he didnt have the time to develop his offensive game but as far as defense, i think hes there. his defensive presence and his height really effects the defensive side. he needs to goto miami and start at the 5
laugh.gif
I knew coming in he was going to at least be a three year project. His rookie season, he blocked shots when he got on the floor and stunk on offense, which wasn't surprising. But he came back the following season and regressed in every facet of the game, showing no improvement in his game or desire to get better.
indifferent.gif

i dont see how hard it is just to stand in the middle of the paint and attempt to block shots. this dude really doesn't give a damn? (never see him on TV)

Son, Ibaka at the 4 and Thabeet at the 5, won't nobody score %$@! in the paint on us. How much do you think he is worth? That's basically what Darko got.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

We literally blew the 2009 and 2010 draft. Its amazing how good Memphis still is with virtually none of their draft picks on the team from those past years.
Not as rare as you think

0.jpg

(Would have been fighting for 6th seed if not for Rubio injury, even Simmons said it)

Son, Ibaka at the 4 and Thabeet at the 5, won't nobody score %$@! in the paint on us. How much do you think he is worth? That's basically what Darko got.

Stop being a couch GM, let OKC do what theyve been doing, smart decisions thru the draft.

We literally blew the 2009 and 2010 draft. Got Selby in 2011. Its amazing how good Memphis still is with virtually none of their draft picks on the team from those past years.
That's why I said whoever made those decisions are LUCKY
I'm still mad they picked Henry over Babbitt.. Since he's gotten PT he has hit the 3 pretty well which is exactly what they were looking for 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by henz0

I'm still mad they picked Henry over Babbitt.. Since he's gotten PT he has hit the 3 pretty well which is exactly what they were looking for 
eyes.gif
The missed draft picks will come back to haunt the Grizzlies these next few years. The best labor in the NBA next to superstars are contributing players on rookie contracts. And really, being a small market like Memphis you can't afford to miss on draft picks like they have recently.

Originally Posted by MMG

Stop being a couch GM, let OKC do what theyve been doing, smart decisions thru the draft.

is my being a couch GM stopping OKC from "doing what theyve been doing, smart decisions thru the draft?" Startle a snake

Originally Posted by JPZx

We literally blew the 2009 and 2010 draft. Its amazing how good Memphis still is with virtually none of their draft picks on the team from those past years.
Not as rare as you think

0.jpg

(Would have been fighting for 6th seed if not for Rubio injury, even Simmons said it)

johnny flynn and wesley johnson going 4th and 6th in the Draft 
eek.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
 still don't know how that happen
Johnny personality made him some $$$ 

Originally Posted by PMatic

Originally Posted by henz0

eyes.gif
The missed draft picks will come back to haunt the Grizzlies these next few years. The best labor in the NBA next to superstars are contributing players on rookie contracts. And really, being a small market like Memphis you can't afford to miss on draft picks like they have recently.
Well, if they continue to sign guys to cheap deals and trade for guys on rookie deals (Cunningham, Pondexter, Allen, Selby (if he turns out to be something), Arthur, Haddadi), they will be fine. That's one thing the Grizzlies do a good job at. It wouldn't surprise me if they find another guy in the off-season to replace OJ worth much less.

Back
Top Bottom