Anyone have a 4k Ultra HD television? Help

I agree, had a 60 inch 1080p tv then which was great. Just funny looking back, especially the ones who thought it would fade away.
I never had any bad insight towards hd/uhd as those are more leaning towards picture quality improvements. The real fads are 3D and those visor accessories.. it was funny considering how Hollywood heavily promoted the generational old technology.

Screenshot 2024-04-28 at 8.31.35 PM.png

Didn't want to spend much so I bought this 65" TCL for the bedroom. Honestly pretty decent for the price.

$650 CAD = $475 USD

You could have gone with the Hisense U7. Doesn't break the bank and pretty much premium tv that could last you and enjoy.

Yup you're right. Was looking at those as well. TCL was $650 CAD and the Hisense was $1100. Figured for $650 it was worth the gamble especially just for the bedroom.

Early pages of this thread from 10 years ago is comedy. "4k is a fad"

10 years ago….

i wonder

do any of you actually read about new tech OUTSIDE of NT?

ill post an article on why OLED > 4K
why 4K is an old car with new tires

sadly most tech consumers are highly ignorant but are the driving force in what survives in the market

id be willing to bet that even tho OLED is the real future of television, since 4K is marketed better and thats what consumers know, 4K will come out on top.

ah well

Yup you're right. Was looking at those as well. TCL was $650 CAD and the Hisense was $1100. Figured for $650 it was worth the gamble especially just for the bedroom.
I see you were looking for the 65. I was talking about the 55 inch which is significantly cheaper and $50 more than the tcl. 55 is big enough for a bedroom and even in the family room. Coming from a 50 inch, the increased dimension is noticeable. Although I kept mine at 55 since I don't have a stand for the 75. Also they said that the 55 inch U8K is better than the 75. Loving my tv right now and pretty much competing against the mid to upper oleds in terms of picture quality. Got mine last year and was on sale for $800.

I see you were looking for the 65. I was talking about the 55 inch which is significantly cheaper and $50 more than the tcl. 55 is big enough for a bedroom and even in the family room. Coming from a 50 inch, the increased dimension is noticeable. Although I kept mine at 55 since I don't have a stand for the 75. Also they said that the 55 inch U8K is better than the 75. Loving my tv right now and pretty much competing against the mid to upper oleds in terms of picture quality. Got mine last year and was on sale for $800.

Ya man I actually did have a 55" in the bedroom before this 65" TCL. It was a 2018 Toshiba Amazon Fire TV. Was pretty budget but did the job. Have a pretty big room so the 65" is perfect. I have a 65" LG C1 OLED in my living room. Next one will be 75". Hell maybe even 83" if the price is right 😂

Ya man I actually did have a 55" in the bedroom before this 65" TCL. It was a 2018 Toshiba Amazon Fire TV. Was pretty budget but did the job. Have a pretty big room so the 65" is perfect. I have a 65" LG C1 OLED in my living room. Next one will be 75". Hell maybe even 83" if the price is right 😂
I go for Picture Quality over size first. it wouldn't make sense having a bigger screen if the picture is just decent. saw this with my brother and co=workers tv. they both have 75 and the quality is just meh.

I heavily considered the C1 when it first came out but hated the fact that it never went down in price. mind you that I speak highly of OLED and would have been my first choice but the stupid premium that manufacturers impose on the OLED tvs make me shy away from them. thank goodness for miniled as that gave me a better and cheaper option. if I were to compare, it is much like the scenario between LCD tvs and Plasma back in the day. I love Plasma tv but LCDs gain a lot of traction because of their affordability. by the time that Plasma manufacturers decided to compete with the LCD pricing, it was pretty much too late. Plasma was heading out the window and LEDs came in.

from what I see, OLED tv manufacturers are trying to milk out the technology for a decade now. much like what they did with Plasma.

Uhh, OLEDs go on sale all the time... I never paid full price for any of the 6 Ive owned. Some I got some open box/refurbished, but the C1 I got new for $2100, and Ive seen the C3 go for less recently.

Yes, they are more expensive than other types of TVs, but you can get then way under retail especially when the new models come out.

Uhh, OLEDs go on sale all the time... I never paid full price for any of the 6 Ive owned. Some I got some open box/refurbished, but the C1 I got new for $2100, and Ive seen the C3 go for less recently.

Yes, they are more expensive than other types of TVs, but you can get then way under retail especially when the new models come out.
there might be concern about the C3 considering they "seem" to be always on sale. while the ones I'm willing to pay for under retail but not willing to shell something at 42. my argument being the pricing as comparison to other tv technology is quite ridiculous. they are practically saying that you pay premium for the technology or the name OLED which is now quite marginal in difference picture quality now that MiniLED came into the picture. I wouldn't have said this if I haven't known or encountered MiniLED yet but OLED manufacturers are seeing they have real competition. alas, introducing QD/VA filter panel and brightness tweaks on the OLED tv to try to match what the competition has to offer. don't get me wrong, I still love OLED tech, but I'm not that impressed enough to shell a couple of hundreds more to see a marginal improvement on picture quality. with the price I paid for my new MiniLED tv, it makes it an automatic steal if I was comparing it to the early B or C model OLEDs.

I go for Picture Quality over size first. it wouldn't make sense having a bigger screen if the picture is just decent. saw this with my brother and co=workers tv. they both have 75 and the quality is just meh.

I heavily considered the C1 when it first came out but hated the fact that it never went down in price. mind you that I speak highly of OLED and would have been my first choice but the stupid premium that manufacturers impose on the OLED tvs make me shy away from them. thank goodness for miniled as that gave me a better and cheaper option. if I were to compare, it is much like the scenario between LCD tvs and Plasma back in the day. I love Plasma tv but LCDs gain a lot of traction because of their affordability. by the time that Plasma manufacturers decided to compete with the LCD pricing, it was pretty much too late. Plasma was heading out the window and LEDs came in.

from what I see, OLED tv manufacturers are trying to milk out the technology for a decade now. much like what they did with Plasma.

Ya before I bought my C1 I watched a ton of reviews online and was worried it would not be bright enough. The brightness is ok but for my next I would like it to be a bit brighter. Apparently a lot of the newer OLEDs are getting brighter. That's a another reason why I chose this TCL for the bedroom, it gets nice and bright. Lots of other budget TV's don't.

I would actually consider a Mini LED because I have a Macbook pro that uses a Mini LED and it looks amazing. Plus no risk of burn in unlike OLED but apparently that is becoming less of a concern unlike the OLEDS from like 4, 5, 6 years ago.

To be honest, I don't know if there is much of a future for Mini LED. As OLEDs get cheaper, brighter and more burn in resistant, I think they will become the norm for premium and even mid range tvs. You see this with laptops as well, tons are using OLED.

Ya before I bought my C1 I watched a ton of reviews online and was worried it would not be bright enough. The brightness is ok but for my next I would like it to be a bit brighter. Apparently a lot of the newer OLEDs are getting brighter. That's a another reason why I chose this TCL for the bedroom, it gets nice and bright. Lots of other budget TV's don't.

I would actually consider a Mini LED because I have a Macbook pro that uses a Mini LED and it looks amazing. Plus no risk of burn in unlike OLED but apparently that is becoming less of a concern unlike the OLEDS from like 4, 5, 6 years ago.

To be honest, I don't know if there is much of a future for Mini LED. As OLEDs get cheaper, brighter and more burn in resistant, I think they will become the norm for premium and even mid range tvs. You see this with laptops as well, tons are using OLED.
I'm not that really worried as far as the future for miniled is, as other manufacturers are now trying to implement that technology to their lineup. LG has it which they call QNED. Samsung called theirs as Neo Qled. and pretty soon, Sony is coming out with theirs I believe. now those are just the big 3 and we haven't even listed Hisense, TCL and others.

from an article I read today, OLED might be changed in 2 years and is going to be replaced by microled which is even a much smaller implementation of miniled technology. the technology I think is already available I believe and past the experimentation phase, but the cost right now is still on the highside to consider releasing it to the general consumer.

my main gripe with my 4k oled is sports like champions league and NBA are still in like 1080i :frown:
That’s not an issue because of OLED technology, that’s on the broadcast and distribution networks. Right now the ROI for making 4k broadcasts the standard for regular season games just isn’t there. Very simple way to think of it is it would take at least 4x the wiring, processing power, physical labor, not to mention even more expensive cameras to do it than the 1080i broadcasts we get. And even those aren’t standard.

you don't have 4K broadcast?
it doesn't exist as solefunk below mentioned
That’s not an issue because of OLED technology, that’s on the broadcast and distribution networks. Right now the ROI for making 4k broadcasts the standard for regular season games just isn’t there. Very simple way to think of it is it would take at least 4x the wiring, processing power, physical labor, not to mention even more expensive cameras to do it than the 1080i broadcasts we get. And even those aren’t standard.
yeah i get that, but I STILL WANT IT :lol:
I wanna enjoy the green colors of the grass from my couch :lol:

HDR can make a difference... I honestly wasnt aware they had DV/HDR in sub 4k resolutions. That is something to take note when buying any Samsung TV, they dont support DV because Samsung didnt want to pay Dolby so they made HDR10+... which has even less support from studios.

HDR can make a difference... I honestly wasnt aware they had DV/HDR in sub 4k resolutions. That is something to take note when buying any Samsung TV, they dont support DV because Samsung didnt want to pay Dolby so they made HDR10+... which has even less support from studios.
good thing I bought something other than ShameSung.

Yeah that was my gripe when I had a Samsung. They'll still show in HDR10 which isn't bad. I think Amazon has some HDR10+ stuff.

I have DirecTV and they have a 3 channels that offer native 4k content.

The Lakers and Nuggets home games are broadcast in 4k.

The Dodgers and Red sox home games are in 4k.

I recently bought the apple tv streaming device and games that are not offered in 4k do look much better with the dobly vision or HDR feature.

I have a 86 inch LG in the backyard man cave and the games do look good but doesn't compare to the Sony 85 inch I have in the bedroom.

Will consider going to the mini LED 85 in Sony for my living room as I have an older model Sony 85 inch.

YouTube TV also broadcast some sports in 4K. There's not a whole lot of 4K sports content available but it's there.

Back
Top Bottom