Calling NT electricians. Vol: Safe way to extend a power surge?

I have been looking all over the internet and see varying answers everywhere about this. So we have a room that needs more outlets than the previous 4 outlet surge protector. I purchased this 10 outlet surge protector from monoprice: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=9200
Our current wall outlet is about 7-8 feet away from the desired placement of the surge protector. From googling it seems a basic brown extension cord is unsafe to extend the protector. Is there a safe cable I can use to get that extra 1-2 feet of space to have my protector reach? I came across some people saying these are safe, but I was hoping someone here could chime in and let me know. http://www.cablewholesale.com/products/power-products/power-cords/product-10w2-02106.php
Worst case, we will try to have an electrician in and install an extra outlet closer to the TV area. Thank you in advance to anyone that can help!

I think it would be safer to have the electrician come out and install the outlet. Would it be expensive?

I think it would be safer to have the electrician come out and install the outlet. Would it be expensive?

So my dad said our family friend is an electrician and can do it for us for free but it might take a few weeks or longer before he has any time to come do it haha. I guess I'll hit up home depot or something and see if they can give me a temporary safe solution in the meantime.

So my dad said our family friend is an electrician and can do it for us for free but it might take a few weeks or longer before he has any time to come do it haha. I guess I'll hit up home depot or something and see if they can give me a temporary safe solution in the meantime.
That's really great news. Just make sure your Dad's friend installs everything up to code. 
laugh.gif

That's really great news. Just make sure your Dad's friend installs everything up to code. :lol:

:lol: of course he's a full time electrician for a big company so he'll do a good job haha. now to decide if I wanna test using the plain extension cord that I've been using for years in the meantime or search for something else

No offense to the good people at Home Depot, but you really shouldn't ask most of them about stuff like this. If they were professionals, they wouldn't be working for $10/hr. Why not ask your dad's friend for a temporary solution?

No offense to the good people at Home Depot, but you really shouldn't ask most of them about stuff like this. If they were professionals, they wouldn't be working for $10/hr. Why not ask your dad's friend for a temporary solution?

Very true. Yeah I already asked, he's just very hard to get a hold of. He's one of the top electricians for a multi million dollar company and flies all over the world doing electrical jobs :lol: Hopefully I hear back from him soon on that, but it could be days or weeks before that happens.

I'm a licensed electrician. I've been working in the field for over 15 years.
You can use an extension cord but you need too make sure it's 12 AWG or even 10 AWG would be better. The more things you plug in to the surge protector the more amps it will draw.
Do you know what size circuit breaker the plug is on? 15 amp or 20?
15 amp circuit requires a minimum of 14 AWG wire and 20 requires a minimum of 12 AWG wire. What are you going to plug into the surge protector ? you'd most likely won't be drawing too much so the 12 AWG would be fine. But it never hurts to over size wire.

I'm a licensed electrician. I've been working in the field for over 15 years.
You can use an extension cord but you need too make sure it's 12 AWG or even 10 AWG would be better. The more things you plug in to the surge protector the more amps it will draw.
Do you know what size circuit breaker the plug is on? 15 amp or 20?
15 amp circuit requires a minimum of 14 AWG wire and 20 requires a minimum of 12 AWG wire. What are you going to plug into the surge protector ? you'd most likely won't be drawing too much so the 12 AWG would be fine. But it never hurts to over size wire.

thank you sir. monoprice has a 2ft cable with 16 AWG for $1.50. Would I be safe to go with that since I have no idea about the size of the circuit breaker for the plug?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022802&p_id=5297&seq=1&format=2

Last edited:
No! when talking about AWG the larger the number the smaller the wire. So 16 is smaller then 14,12 and 10. You definitely don't want 16. You should go with 12 AWG.

No! when talking about AWG the larger the number the smaller the wire. So 16 is smaller then 14,12 and 10. You definitely don't want 16. You should go with 12 AWG.

gotcha my mistake haha I'll get a 12 AWG one. appreciate the help

Back
Top Bottom