Emails

My email inbox has just been assaulted with dozens of emails for all my watched threads, which I've never chosen for emails each time there's a new reply. :smh:
I just chose to "disable all emails" from the emails, so hope it stays that way.

This happened to me as well. For some reason, under settings, a box stating i wanted emails to every reply was checked. Just uncheck it, hoping that helps as well.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 1.22.55 PM.png

This happened to me as well. For some reason, under settings, a box stating i wanted emails to every reply was checked. Just uncheck it, hoping that helps as well.

Thanks, just checked it, my setting for emails are all unchecked. Just still keep getting bombarded with emails. :sick:

Sometimes, especially when browsing on a mobile device, users will inadvertently check a box to enable email subscriptions. A number of users encountered this issue shortly after we changed platforms, but it's been months since any recent instances have been reported.

You can change subscriptions settings in the preferences area. babyjs created a helpful graphic to cover the relevant settings:
img_6828-jpg.1967716

Last edited:
Methodical Management Methodical Management

I appreciate your response. However I always use NT on my laptop and never once on my phone, so I don't think that's what happened here. I got close to 100 emails within that hour and then they stopped.

So all 100 emails were related to watched threads, and you hadn't signed up to receive email notifications for those threads?

Any additional information on this would be appreciated so we can better determine the cause.

So all 100 emails were related to watched threads, and you hadn't signed up to receive email notifications for those threads?

Any additional information on this would be appreciated so we can better determine the cause.
I never sign up for email notifications and my settings were the same. Yet earlier today I received dozens of emails for replies to my watched threads, multiples of earlier replies.
I use NT on my phone and desktop. All the emails then suddenly stopped.

I never sign up for email notifications and my settings were the same. Yet earlier today I received dozens of emails for replies to my watched threads, multiples of earlier replies.
I use NT on my phone and desktop. All the emails then suddenly stopped.

Correct. I have never once in 5 years ever received a single email from NT until today.

Thanks.

Can you please check and confirm that ALL of the "and receive email notifications" boxes on your preferences page are unchecked, as here? https://niketalk.com/account/preferences

img_6828-jpg.1967716

As you can see, there are actually multiple boxes that must be unchecked to prevent ALL emails associated with watched threads.

Unfortunately, the platform we're using doesn't have the most intuitive controls for email.

Our current theory is that you had been blocking these messages through your email provider - not through our settings/preferences. You both share the same email provider, and they've been experiencing service issues lately. It's possible that for a few hours today, those blocking settings in your email service did not function as intended and you received a bunch of messages associated with one or more VERY active threads on our forums.

By making sure your email settings reflect your preferences, you should be able to avoid any recurrence of this issue whether your email provider's blocking filter is functioning or not.

So after being on NT for 5 years, my email provider decided to one day accept messages that i've never received before?

Not sure about that one, but I get what you're saying could be possible. :lol:

FWIW here are my settings for your reference.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.15.14 PM.png

So after being on NT for 5 years, my email provider decided to one day accept messages that i've never received before?

Not sure about that one, but I get what you're saying could be possible. :lol:

FWIW here are my settings for your reference.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 9.15.14 PM.png
If it seems like this has occurred suddenly and out of the blue, that's exactly how it seems to the staff, too.

As far as I'm aware, absolutely no changes have been made to the software platform in the past week. No changes were made after the reports came in, either, so nothing on our end would account for either the initiation or resolution of the issue.

Meanwhile, Oath Brands has been experiencing outages recently: https://www.mediapost.com/publicati...s-aol-and-yahoo-mail-suffer-service-outa.html

This was not a widespread issue. My account is set for site-only notifications, with no active email notifications for watched threads. You two are the only ones who reported the issue, and both of you utilize the same ISP, which happens to be one of the arcane services under the Oath umbrella.

We didn't receive your forwarded messages to the support account. It's possible, then, that you blocked the niketalk.com domain in your email settings.

Though I was subsequently unable to review any of the messages you received, if you watched even one of the major sneaker release threads and inadvertently received an email for each reply, you could easily accumulate 100+ messages in a short period of time. (Email notifications are really intended for much smaller forums, or for select threads like buy/sell listings that would receive infrequent replies.)

I'm still interested in determining why the emails were sent out in the first place, but the common denominator on this one does appear to be the email provider based on the information we have.

I’ve also never received nor set my preferences to recieve emails for NT threads, so not sure why any emails would even be sent to my inbox, weird even if delayed.
I’ll forward a couple of the emails, I guess the first (2:08pm et) and last one (2:28pm). If you guys need anymore, please let us know.
Here’s my preferences, unchanged.
D7B7830C-DE45-4FED-B687-A5C3213F780B.jpeg

Edit: I’ve also digged around in my aol email settings and haven’t found any mention of niketalk being blocked or spammed in any settings anywhere.

Someone just DM'd me and i got an email. But my emails have always been turned off.

This is just getting weird now.

I still don't get why we'd even get the emails all of sudden, when none of our preferences were set to it? Not sure how that would have anything to do with who our email provider is, and it's not like AOL is some small unknown provider. The emails shouldn't have even generated in the first place.

Somehow, my preferences are automatically getting changed on NT is what I feel the issue is.

I never had the box checked to receive notifications of DMs since I joined. Now all of a sudden it was checked?

All of the email preferences were reset this summer, when we changed platforms. We were unable to transfer those settings to the new software.

That's why the first step is to make sure everyone's settings are correct now and then see if the problem recurs.

We have several different add-ons to improve the notification system, and unfortunately each one has its own settings.

In the notification center, there's also an email notification setting you'll want to check:

https://niketalk.com/watched/threads/all

butheremails.jpg

Back
Top Bottom