Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Anyone have experience selling a house using a Redfin agent? Planning to sell my condo this year and was contemplating using them instead of my current agent.

Honest question how are people affording these houses?

My wife and I just got pre-approved for $500k and anything in that budget seems like we are guaranteed to be under in no time.

If these 1200 sq foot homes that are $500k now ever go up to $600k+ I just don't see how the entire country is not doomed.

How long until 50% of us all all homeless?

Makes it more realistic with how rent has skyrocketed too. Seen a lot of news reports of people literally in tears because they can't even afford a 1 bdr apt. Living in their car appears to be their only realistic option.

I can’t speak for everyone but we paid things as normal. No substantial stacking was done
I feel like everyone i run into on a normal day like supermarket people, coffee shop workers, etc has absolutely zero ability to buy a house. It’s really turning into a society of haves and have nots

The middle class is finished

I thought he was saying people were stacking cause of the moratoriums in effect.. thus insinuating those that didn't lose their jobs just weren't paying their mortgage to stack some moneys.

We didn't do that.. just kept paying anyway. But we make enough to be able to save on top of our home, bills, lifestyle, etc.. so I'd say we're lucky in that sense, or just smart enough to prioritize that.

Real estate is all about timing. I don't envy anyone trying to purchase a house right now- the market conditions are horrible. I've made two RE transactions in my life, April 2013 and November 2019, and got lucky with timing both times. We finished our custom build in 2021 but we locked in the pre pandemic prices. Since then the cost to build has gone up 30% on top of the land value appreciation. We're in top 10 school system in NJ so I don't expect the prices to dip like other areas.

I feel like our generation was lied to… they teach us shxt in school that is meaningless in the real world, but we gotta get those As and Bs, and then go in debt to get a bachelors degree. Then go get a low paying job to make someone else rich, but hey, you could work your way up (lol). Meanwhile everyone doing the same damn thing. How you gonna get ahead doing the same as everyone else. I do believe there is unlimited opportunity in this country but the way they tried to wire us isn’t designed to go get the bag. Especially those that grew up middle class. We wanna do what our parents did but the game changed. Immigrants and minorities who have grew up with less and watched their parents struggle, while also usually better educated have the advantage. But it’s all mindset IMO.

I feel like our generation was lied to… they teach us shxt in school that is meaningless in the real world, but we gotta get those As and Bs, and then go in debt to get a bachelors degree. Then go get a low paying job to make someone else rich, but hey, you could work your way up (lol). Meanwhile everyone doing the same damn thing. How you gonna get ahead doing the same as everyone else. I do believe there is unlimited opportunity in this country but the way they tried to wire us isn’t designed to go get the bag. Especially those that grew up middle class. We wanna do what our parents did but the game changed. Immigrants and minorities who have grew up with less and watched their parents struggle, while also usually better educated have the advantage. But it’s all mindset IMO.
This mindset isn't it, respectfully. You'd be surprised how far you can go getting A's and B's.

What I wish they taught us in school for careers-
Not- what’s your passion? What’s your interest? Okay pursue it!
I wish they laid out the facts of what careers make big bank, how much they make, what it takes to get into it, how competitive, what the market is needing (over saturated? or market is hungry?), etc
Not even gonna mention budgeting / money management, and investing.

My public school experience was I had zero good teachers in 12 years, 0 mentors or role models, learned nothing relevant. I think it’s a little better now.

This mindset isn't it, respectfully. You'd be surprised how far you can go getting A's and B's.
Nah I don’t see it

At best, in very specific industries, with elite networking. Also it depends what is considering “getting far”, we all have different definitions and goals

I feel like everyone i run into on a normal day like supermarket people, coffee shop workers, etc has absolutely zero ability to buy a house. It’s really turning into a society of haves and have nots

I always wonder that too.like where tf does a Starbucks worker in SF live? Like an hour away to make coffee, or local but with 17 roommates?

I'm of the opinion that everyone needs to make more money because $8, or even $15, or even $20 an hour ain't **** anymore. You can't print $7 trillion and not have some negative side effects.

That's why I kinda feel like buying a house literally won't even be a possibility for the majority of the country eventually. $800k is the new $400k for houses. Like e said, middle class is almost cooked. Get ahead now or have fun owning nothing.

Yeah totally^

My wife is a Starbucks worker and the only way we’re even remotely considering a house is because I work at a tech company and get paid outrageous money to do non life changing work. We’re very poor for the area due to this non two tech company lifestyle but anywhere else we’d be doing well.

From what she tells me yeah that’s exactly it. Most of her colleagues are living with family / someone in their family bought a house. It’s even hard to afford rent with retail wages. Some of them lived in 5-6 people shared houses paying like $1k a month and getting by paycheck to paycheck. And usually traveling quite a bit. She’s works at one of the flagship SF stores and the pay is quite a bit better than other cities. So half of them are traveling hour+ everyday including even the store manager (who makes $160k…which is still not much).

There was a time when High School Guidance Counselors actually advised students on either College, Trade School or Military. We got away from that and we only push College. We are teaching college equals automatic success. Which is a far from the truth. We have created a huge demand for college and admissions have skyrocketed. Students feel they need to take on huge debt to be successful.

To be fair to our parents (and I do think they screwed the millennials) - it was the truth at one point.

A stark contrast is middle America is also dead - metropolitan areas are the place to be equaling higher COL in those cities

My immediate circle is strongly middle class, but I'm still cool with folks who have lower wage jobs (hotel desk staff, security, retail associate, etc.). They know they're not buying a house so don't stress about it. The main thing is just having a place to live. The fortunate ones have family/friends in the area they can stay with/rent with cheaply. A couple guys I know used DC's IZ system to get their places in nicer parts of the city.

I’m middle class for sure, but I could see some cities where it’s totally dead like Naples or something.

Make sure you open ALL your mail from your mortgage company. Almost shredded a check they sent months ago for our escrow surplus. They overestimated our property taxes and sent us a very nice check. I thought it was another monthly statement so just added it to the shred pile 😅
We didn’t get to spend ours, we had to use it for our supplemental taxes :smh:

Back
Top Bottom