How can you tell if an old shoe is wearable? (99 IV's)

Is there any way of looking at a DS pair of IV's from 99 and telling if they are wearable? Specifically, if the air bubble is cloudy is that a deadgiveaway that the shoe is unwearable?

when you are talking about old shoes it's a wear at your own risk

i have seen people wear old shoes and even play b-ball in them with no problems and i have seen people wear old shoes an have them fall apart

so it's all up to you

Ok thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I thought. Guess I'll just keep these DS
frown.gif

Heck, if I spent upwards $400 on a shoe, I'm wearing it. If not just try it on to test it's durability.

The risk may not be worth the reward, but you'll always wonder.

if the soles is soft its wearable if its stiff then put them on and walk around.........and see your sole two steps behind you...
roll.gif
!!

Originally Posted by eye see soles

Heck, if I spent upwards $400 on a shoe, I'm wearing it. If not just try it on to test it's durability.

Amen! I have a pair of Infrareds I purchased DS. I wore them around my house a few times now, and experienced very minor paint chipping. Hopefully Ican break them out this summer.

A lot of funny responses here.

you can feel it if you press the midsole with your thumb....soft/foamy means it's wearable.....hard/crunchy means it's now a showpiece. i went throughthe same thing with my OG Aquas. bought them.....laced 'em up....took two steps....took 'em off ASAP!

Look at the air bubble......if its clear most likley your can wear...if its foggy or cloudy than I would def not wear em

Originally Posted by eye see soles

Agreed! After keeping my black/reds DS for so long (only reason I didnt wear em was because i didnt want them to crumble after hearing/seeing all thehorror stories on NT) I unDSed them this past December. Happy to say that they held up, and I have worn them 3 or 4 times since then. Definitely worth therisk!

^that air bubble theory is some bull. like the guy said a few post ago, press the white foam area to see if it will hold up or not. i dont understand howpeople say that just because the air bubble has yellowed, the shoe wont hold up. true it maybe an indication of oxidation, but its the foam that holds the damshoe together not the air unit itself. if you have pics, post them up and maybe some of us can help.

ive had 2, read em, 2 99 retro IVs black/cement crack on me, both with clear air bubbles and crunchy foam (for the lack of words at the moment)

Not Jordan's, but I popped the hexalite in my OG Battlegrounds a couple of months ago, and didn't even realise it until I pulled em out recently torock em. Shattered. I had been wearing them on and off for years and years; they were beaten to the ground, but didn't really show any signs of immediatedemise. Sometimes they never do. It's just a gamble with old kicks. Now, they're gorgeous trophies.
tongue.gif

Originally Posted by bklyn style baby

I don't think its worth finding out, buy the cheap retroes to wear and keep the 99 iv's DS.
shoes are meant to be worn. i would say look at the midsole and if its yellowed or cracking don't buy them

Wow 2 '99 IVs crack on that one dude uptop, I'm sorry man that must have been a tragedy for both you and your wallet. I don't expect you'llfollow the "third times a charm" philosophy and give another pair a shot?

my pair was ds paid 350 for em. bubble was see through midsole was soft joints still cracked and chipped. sold them for 300. 99 bred ivs arent wearable unlessu been rockin em for years or reall light weight. i'm a skinny person too. ima cop the retro pack wear them in so the midsole can always be flexable andlast a lot of years

^^ Damn that sucks. How many times did you wear them? There are signs you have to check for before deciding to buy a pair of old shoes. I just recently wore my1998 Air Trainer SC's for the first time and they held up perfect. Same with my '99 IV's.

I have a DS black/red pair. I will never put them on. It's the last time they made a real Air Jordan IV.

I also have a pair of white/cements but I rock them. They look clean but I've worn them through the years so they are good.

I'd sell them. arent they worth a nice chunk ds? you wear them and there's a good chance they will end up worth zero. .... it's not worth it.

that's just me though.

I remember balling with a guy who had these probably back in 99. I jokingly asked him if he'd kept them in a freezer all these years b/c I didnt really paymuch attention to reissues back then. So now I'm wondering, when they dropped in 99, did they sell out right away with people lining up etc?

If so it's crazy how long people have been lining up for retros.

Back
Top Bottom