OFFICIAL 2023-24 FOOTY THREAD ⚽️: Champions League Final between Borussia Dortmund and Real Madrid on 6/1 at 3 PM EST

Who will win the 2023/24 Champions League?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PSG fans should be happy a player of Mbappé's stature played so many years for them. All while Mbappé knows damn well that the rest of the world thinks he's just wasting precious years at PSG.

We can split hairs but a player isn’t “wasting away” when he’s at a globally recognized club winning domestic trophies annually and consistently playing in the biggest matches in the knockout stages of the UCL.

Basically if you haven’t played for Madrid, Manchester City, Bayern, Liverpool, or Chelsea in the past decade, you’ve been a failure. OK :rolleyes

Belgium Belgium if that’s the case, every single talented player should’ve ditched Tottenham years ago for never winning anything in decades. Kane was an idiot for wasting his prime there . Or is the situation different because of some imaginary morally superior “We aren’t state owned” trophy? :rolleyes
I'm saying that's a prevalent opinion you're bound to see everywhere. The same opinions that were everywhere when Neymar moved to PSG. Year after year after year, people kept saying the same thing about Kane as well.
I never said that was my view, though I can see how it was interpreted that way so that's my bad.

The arguments in your post sfc415 sfc415 are just strawman arguments that I didn't make, nor endorse, so there is no point in responding to them.
As for my personal opinion, I think "wasting away" is a stupid concept. Sure, Mbappé isn't playing against the best competition in Ligue 1, but experience is experience at the end of the day.
He's getting guaranteed CL experience and might have brought them a CL trophy. Not winning the CL with PSG is not at all a failure, it's a team game after all.
I think those "wasting away" opinions might also refer to Ligue 1's lesser international viewership compared to La Liga or the PL, which doesn't make the opinion any less stupid btw.

Mbappé stayed at PSG for much longer than he could have, despite social media being flooded with such comments. I think that's very commendable, especially since no one expects a generational talent like Mbappé to stay that many years.

Last edited:
I'm saying that's a prevalent opinion you're bound to see everywhere. The same opinions that were everywhere when Neymar moved to PSG. Year after year after year, people kept saying the same thing about Kane as well.
I never said that was my view, though I can see how it was interpreted that way so that's my bad.

The arguments in your post sfc415 sfc415 are just strawman arguments that I didn't make, nor endorse, so there is no point in responding to them.
As for my personal opinion, I think "wasting away" is a stupid concept. Sure, Mbappé isn't playing against the best competition in Ligue 1, but experience is experience at the end of the day.
He's getting guaranteed CL experience and might have brought them a CL trophy. Not winning the CL with PSG is not at all a failure, it's a team game after all.
I think those "wasting away" opinions might also refer to Ligue 1's lesser international viewership compared to La Liga or the PL, which doesn't make the opinion any less stupid btw.

Mbappé stayed at PSG for much longer than he could have, despite social media being flooded with such comments. I think that's very commendable, especially since no one expects a generational talent like Mbappé to stay that many years.

Regardless of who owns PSG. (Btw there were plenty of PSG fans in Paris who were just satisfied with winning the Coupe de France every 5 years before the takeover)

There is a beauty in staying in your country and in your own city and taking on that challenge.

We don’t know where football is headed. But Mbappe did more than enough to prop up the city, country, and league.

Regardless of who owns PSG. (Btw there were plenty of PSG fans in Paris who were just satisfied with winning the Coupe de France every 5 years before the takeover)

There is a beauty in staying in your country and in your own city and taking on that challenge.

We don’t know where football is headed. But Mbappe did more than enough to prop up the city, country, and league.
Agreed. Perhaps he might also influence other upcoming talents to stay in France longer before making a leap to the top leagues.
At a time when everyone expected Mbappé to move to Madrid, he extended his contract with PSG. That's huge for propping up Ligue 1 etc in general.

Agreed. Perhaps he might also influence other upcoming talents to stay in France longer before making a leap to the top leagues.
At a time when everyone expected Mbappé to move to Madrid, he extended his contract with PSG. That's huge for propping up Ligue 1 etc in general.

It took like 4 years of tic-toc Summers for him to finally get to RM :lol:

Mbappe expedited the growth of the league and club. You know how hard it was to watch Ligue 1 before?

As for Ligue 1- It’s really going to come down to who can really rival PSG fiscally. Marseille is the obvious choice because they already have one of the greatest rivalries in the world - they just don’t have money.

Like I keep saying “If a billionaire takes over Marseille, then Ligue 1 will REALLY get interesting”.

Also. When you look at the history of the other leagues in Europe or throughout the world. Ligue 1 is still in its early stages.

France is still very new to the Football scene. It was a sport rejected by French mid-higher class. It took immigrants in France to popularize the game.

Once immigrants did their part, France started producing real quality players in 1980’s until this very day.

Now look at them. Since 1998 they’ve won 2 WC’s and been in 4 WC Finals.

The goal for Ligue 1 going forward is to one day have those players stay home. Mbappe did his part. Now we’ll see what happens in the next decade plus.

The goal for Ligue 1 going forward is to one day have those players stay home. Mbappe did his part. Now we’ll see what happens in the next decade plus.

This would take billionaire investment in another big club (or more) like Marseille. I remember when Monaco had a sugar daddy before the guy was divorced by his wife and had to give away half of everything.

This would take billionaire investment in another big club (or more) like Marseille. I remember when Monaco had a sugar daddy before the guy was divorced by his wife and had to give away half of everything.

Yea of course. Although Monaco have always had a great academy they just don’t have fans there man.

It’s an extremely rich place where they’re not very passionate about football much.

It would have been hard for Monaco to succeed even the billionaire succeeded.

Marseille is the one. That’s the number one place that needs a takeover.

Back
Top Bottom