Rex's Monthly Econ Topic: July Edition-What Government Does Well

Those of you who read my posts about Economics know that I am a libertarian but today I am going to list some of the ways that government increases the total level of utility, happiness, in society at large.

Government can use its size and coercive power to manage externalities, provide public goods, pool risk and enforce the law.

First there is the issue of externalities, harms caused to someone as a result of other parties' economic activities. Noise, air pollution, garbage, risks of fire and eye sores reduce the quality of life for people. In situations where property rights are well defined, many of these problems can be solved through the courts or some form of voluntary cooperation between the owners of the properties involved in the externality. The problem arises when property rights are not very well defined and where the damages are diffused and the gain are concentrated. Places like the ocean and the atmosphere are the best examples. Each individual motorist does not like a smoggy city but if they put a catalytic converter on their car, it incurs a cost while the gain of less smog is virtually nil. Government's ability to force every to use commonly held spaces by requiring that people pollute the air and water less is something that enhances our quality of life.

Public goods are the greatest strength of government. It greatest public good is its ability to provide physical security. While long, elective wars in far away lands are probably not justifiable, having a very strong military is. Perhaps the US military is too large but it is better to have a military that may be too large then to have one that is so small that it cannot protect our communities from invasion. You need physical security before you can do almost anything else in your economy.

Public parks can also be very beneficial public goods, most people do not own their own full sized athletic facilities and even if they could afford them they might find it not worth the cost if it will only be used sporadically. Public parks allow people the ability to have large open spaces and athletic facilities which they might other wise not afford or would find it not worth the money to buy a basketball or tennis court for their own personal use. Government provides numerous other public goods that would be very expensive or impractical for people to privately furnish and that increases our quality of life because of that.

Government can (at least in theory) act as a very large, cost effective and stable form of insurance against many financial risk that exist in our world. Things like Social security, unemployment insurance and medicaid and medicare as well as government funds for assisting victims of natural disasters reduce risk and when risk is reduced, people tend to be happier. It is true that the specifics of some of these programs are questionable and that some of them create moral hazards and distortions in the market but because most people are risk averse, totally utility can and should be increased by these risk pooling government programs.

Finally there is the ability to enforce law. While there many unjust laws and laws can and have been used to promote social inequality. A system of that law that treats people equally is, on balance, good for the "little guy." It also provides a frame work in which businesses and households can better plan, make decisions and make calculated risks that grow the economy. Law means property rights which is more important to economic growth than any natural resource. A well functioning system of law is absolutely vital for economic growth and while private actors can actually administer a good deal of law in an impartial manner, there are limits and that is where state backed courts become vital.

I look forward to the input of you, the reader. I am going to respond, clarify and elaborate based on how you guys respond, so if you agree, disagree or agree with some part and disagree other parts, tell me what you think.

Those of you who read my posts about Economics know that I am a libertarian but today I am going to list some of the ways that government increases the total level of utility, happiness, in society at large.

Government can use its size and coercive power to manage externalities, provide public goods, pool risk and enforce the law.

First there is the issue of externalities, harms caused to someone as a result of other parties' economic activities. Noise, air pollution, garbage, risks of fire and eye sores reduce the quality of life for people. In situations where property rights are well defined, many of these problems can be solved through the courts or some form of voluntary cooperation between the owners of the properties involved in the externality. The problem arises when property rights are not very well defined and where the damages are diffused and the gain are concentrated. Places like the ocean and the atmosphere are the best examples. Each individual motorist does not like a smoggy city but if they put a catalytic converter on their car, it incurs a cost while the gain of less smog is virtually nil. Government's ability to force every to use commonly held spaces by requiring that people pollute the air and water less is something that enhances our quality of life.

Public goods are the greatest strength of government. It greatest public good is its ability to provide physical security. While long, elective wars in far away lands are probably not justifiable, having a very strong military is. Perhaps the US military is too large but it is better to have a military that may be too large then to have one that is so small that it cannot protect our communities from invasion. You need physical security before you can do almost anything else in your economy.

Public parks can also be very beneficial public goods, most people do not own their own full sized athletic facilities and even if they could afford them they might find it not worth the cost if it will only be used sporadically. Public parks allow people the ability to have large open spaces and athletic facilities which they might other wise not afford or would find it not worth the money to buy a basketball or tennis court for their own personal use. Government provides numerous other public goods that would be very expensive or impractical for people to privately furnish and that increases our quality of life because of that.

Government can (at least in theory) act as a very large, cost effective and stable form of insurance against many financial risk that exist in our world. Things like Social security, unemployment insurance and medicaid and medicare as well as government funds for assisting victims of natural disasters reduce risk and when risk is reduced, people tend to be happier. It is true that the specifics of some of these programs are questionable and that some of them create moral hazards and distortions in the market but because most people are risk averse, totally utility can and should be increased by these risk pooling government programs.

Finally there is the ability to enforce law. While there many unjust laws and laws can and have been used to promote social inequality. A system of that law that treats people equally is, on balance, good for the "little guy." It also provides a frame work in which businesses and households can better plan, make decisions and make calculated risks that grow the economy. Law means property rights which is more important to economic growth than any natural resource. A well functioning system of law is absolutely vital for economic growth and while private actors can actually administer a good deal of law in an impartial manner, there are limits and that is where state backed courts become vital.

I look forward to the input of you, the reader. I am going to respond, clarify and elaborate based on how you guys respond, so if you agree, disagree or agree with some part and disagree other parts, tell me what you think.

hey can you help me with my economics homework, you seem good with this stuff

hey can you help me with my economics homework, you seem good with this stuff

^^^

I am a professional economist so I would have to charge a steep fee by the hour.
laugh.gif

If you want to bounce some ideas for a paper or something, hit me up but if you are in basic class please only ask me if I can help you in a few minutes or less. I do not mean to be brusque but my time is truly valuable and if you are having problems with basic econ, talk to your professor, a TA or tutor.

^^^

I am a professional economist so I would have to charge a steep fee by the hour.
laugh.gif

If you want to bounce some ideas for a paper or something, hit me up but if you are in basic class please only ask me if I can help you in a few minutes or less. I do not mean to be brusque but my time is truly valuable and if you are having problems with basic econ, talk to your professor, a TA or tutor.

I've never had a fire or had to call the fire department about anything. I'm not happy about some of my tax money being used to pay for a service that is only there to help other people who aren't smart or organised about stuff to prevent their own fires.

I've never had a fire or had to call the fire department about anything. I'm not happy about some of my tax money being used to pay for a service that is only there to help other people who aren't smart or organised about stuff to prevent their own fires.

Originally Posted by kdawg

What's your suggestion then?

What's your suggestion then?

People should have private insurance to pay for the fire department. No insurance = let their house burn to the ground.

People should have private insurance to pay for the fire department. No insurance = let their house burn to the ground.

People have homeowner's insurance. 

No insurance = a whole lot of houses burning to the ground since most people wouldn't pay for the insurance knowing they have homeowners insurance already. 

Also, doesn't the fire department figure out whether a fire was due to arson?  That would mean people burning down houses, clubs, and businesses to collect insurance money. 

People have homeowner's insurance. 

No insurance = a whole lot of houses burning to the ground since most people wouldn't pay for the insurance knowing they have homeowners insurance already. 

Also, doesn't the fire department figure out whether a fire was due to arson?  That would mean people burning down houses, clubs, and businesses to collect insurance money. 

You're joking right?

Making something like the fire department an insurance based program would be a disastrous idea, for a number of reasons.

I don't know about your neighborhood, but in my city, a majority of fires occur in poor neighborhoods. And, typically speaking, poor neighborhoods are pretty homogeneous. There aren't crack houses on one side of the street and mansions on the other. People who live in poor neighborhoods tend to be poor. So, not only do many fires start in poor areas, but if there was one to start, many of the people living in the area wouldn't be able to call upon the fire department if there was a fire, because they couldn't afford it. One person's fire sets an entire neighborhood ablaze.

That, believe it or not, effects you. Not only is it a bad thing to look at if you happen to pass by, but it changes the dynamic of the place that you live in. Your taxes become higher to help pay for the damages done in that neighborhood, the people living there are now homeless and in need of government assistance (which again requires your tax money, potentially raising it,) and all the chemicals burned in the house fires affect the atmosphere negatively.

And perhaps the ugliest thing, you put a price on someone's life. If someone is stuck in their home and the fire department gets there, only to learn that they don't have insurance. Then what? The fire department walks away while that man, woman, or child is screaming for help?

What part of the game is that?

You're joking right?

Making something like the fire department an insurance based program would be a disastrous idea, for a number of reasons.

I don't know about your neighborhood, but in my city, a majority of fires occur in poor neighborhoods. And, typically speaking, poor neighborhoods are pretty homogeneous. There aren't crack houses on one side of the street and mansions on the other. People who live in poor neighborhoods tend to be poor. So, not only do many fires start in poor areas, but if there was one to start, many of the people living in the area wouldn't be able to call upon the fire department if there was a fire, because they couldn't afford it. One person's fire sets an entire neighborhood ablaze.

That, believe it or not, effects you. Not only is it a bad thing to look at if you happen to pass by, but it changes the dynamic of the place that you live in. Your taxes become higher to help pay for the damages done in that neighborhood, the people living there are now homeless and in need of government assistance (which again requires your tax money, potentially raising it,) and all the chemicals burned in the house fires affect the atmosphere negatively.

And perhaps the ugliest thing, you put a price on someone's life. If someone is stuck in their home and the fire department gets there, only to learn that they don't have insurance. Then what? The fire department walks away while that man, woman, or child is screaming for help?

Originally Posted by popcornplaya

You're joking right?

So why's it okay for healthcare then?

Back
Top Bottom