The Official NBA Thread: Mavs v Celtics in the NBA Finals | elpablo21 is Taking Receipts

1. it's not slightly different. its very different.
Ah, I disagree

I think having similar naming themes and colors makes a gendered versions of NBA team names a slightly different

You even conceded that the Mystics are close enough.

2. i don't think it would have made zero real impact.

I disagree

I think your argument is based on too much guessing and vibes to be conniving given what the WNBA went through

So many of Indiana's players are catch & shoot guys from the perimeter. Sometimes a hard closeout just to make them take a dribble is enough.

again you keep wanting to retreat to the strawman "iTs nOt tHaT hArD tO lEaRn a nAmE"

that's not the point, it is really hard to launch new brands this is just a fact. in film and tv making new shows we look for existing IP because IT'S HARD TO LAUNCH new brands.

sports teams have existing IP, you should leverage that.

again if you flipped the countries no one would argue this.

John Cena spent years doing chinese lessons because WWE wanted to expand their reach into china.

he's learned some chinese, now he has 600k followers on weibo, is one of the more popular americans in china, his posts go viral their all the time. fans even given him a chinese name.

Why did John Cena do this?

because speaking the language of the people your marketing to is really helpful.

it's just obvious but people wanna debate because SAS said it.
It's not a strawman because I am directly addressing the actual statment that Strauss made that started all of this. You are the one turning it into a more abstract discussion about general branding and marketing.

And your John Cena argument is cool, but Shohei Ohtani, even without knowing English, is the biggest star in the MLB, both in America and internationally. Games in any city he plays sell out. Merchandise with his name on it sells out everywhere. He signed the biggest contract ever in baseball. Those are the hallmarks of being a huge star and he already checks all the boxes.

So explain to me how he could be a "much bigger" star if he learned English. You want him to have a late-night American talk show or something?

what is different about it?

or rather what is so different that makes the comparison not valid?
-That it is a private enterprise and doesn't have the benefit of having a safety net (through state funds and money College Football generates for school) in times of downturn. Women's college hoops popularity can tank, and the teams will still be around. The WNBA's popularity tanked, and teams folded.

College sports have built-in fan bases. Their fans literally live at the same location where they play. They have alumni that come running to support if the team is good. And we have the tradition of Americans enjoying college sports to bolster popularity. These schools have been around way longer than the WNBA has existed. The WNBA doesn't have that.

Women's college basketball success isn't just based on some co-branding deal.

-If you cobrand with the NBA, then an NBA team owner has to get cut in on the deal if ownership is not shared. If an owner sells to another person who doesn't own the local NBA team, then a licensing agreement would have to be worked out.

I have a hard time believing the billionaires and millionaires that own these teams won't push for cobranding if it would make a real difference. Their product is losing money and they just go 🤷‍♂️ at supposed marketing gold. Really?

College doesn't have this issue. People tried to bring this up for the soccer examples. The ownership/control of the teams makes co-branding work easier in other leagues.

Women's college teams don't have to face the market conditions the WNBA does, they don't have to deal with the licensing issues. If they did, a ton of "Lady 'insert mascot name' " college teams would have folded too. Co-branding won't save them

It's not a strawman because I am directly addressing the actual statment that Strauss made that started all of this. You are the one turning it into a more abstract discussion about general branding and marketing.
he's obviously talking about marketing a branding. hence "I think that makes it so much easier to just resonate and cut across."

somethings ability to resonate and cut across this is all branding stuff.

he's not talking about just remembering names.

you want it to be that because it's easy to dunk on. "iTs nOt tHaT hArD tO lEaRn a nAmE"

And your John Cena argument is cool, but Shohei Ohtani, even without knowing English, is the biggest star in the MLB

yah that's cool but the point of SAS is MLB wants to grow the game and regain a national audience OUTSIDE OF THE MLB.

and if that's the goal "it doesn't help" that the biggest star can't speak english.

this is a banal obviously true point, people forget that Max Kellerman, instantly agreed with him "it would help if he could speak english"

people were just so thirsty to call SAS racist, they made a mountain out of a molehill.

"it would help" SAS is right, it would help.

So explain to me how he could be a "much bigger" star if he learned English. You want him to have a late-night talk show or something?

yes. making media appearances is good for promotion. it exposes you to casual non baseball fans. but its harder to do those things when you need and interpreter.

i don't want to clog up the thread with the game on so ill just say in closing.

this is all obvious stuff, that we would normally agree with, but it's SAS said it loud and bombastic so we gotta act like it was a wild take,

I wonder if we’ll ever get a revolutionary shot blocker that catches the ball in the air with one hand as opposed to just swatting it.

he's obviously talking about marketing a branding. hence "I think that makes it so much easier to just resonate and cut across."

somethings ability to resonate and cut across this is all branding stuff.

he's not talking about just remembering names.

you want it to be that because it's easy to dunk on. "iTs nOt tHaT hArD tO lEaRn a nAmE"

yah that's cool but the point of SAS is MLB wants to grow the game and regain a national audience OUTSIDE OF THE MLB.

and if that's the goal "it doesn't help" that the biggest star can't speak english.

this is a banal obviously true point, people forget that Max Kellerman, instantly agreed with him "it would help if he could speak english"

people were just so thirsty to call SAS racist, they made a mountain out of a molehill.

"it would help" SAS is right, it would help.

yes. making media appearances is good for promotion. it exposes you to casual non baseball fans. but its harder to do those things when you need and interpreter.

i don't want to clog up the thread with the game on so ill just say in closing.

this is all obvious stuff, that we would normally agree with, but it's SAS said it loud and bombastic so we gotta act like it was a wild take,
OK. I agree with you.

You have persuaded me, based on general marketing concepts and information - not directly related to women’s sports - that it is theoretically possible that more closely tracking the branding of men’s NBA teams could have a marginal, positive impact on the popularity of the WNBA and its individual teams.

And that maybe it’s possible Ohtani could be an even bigger, biggest star in baseball.

Back
Top Bottom